Manso Plant - 210 MW


The Manso Plant was built in partnership with the private sector and is located on the Manso River, the main affluent of the Cuiabá River, in the state of Mato Grosso. The PROMAN consortium, made up of Odebrecht, Servix and Pesa, is a FURNAS partner and holds a 30% stake in the overall investment. From February 1999 onwards, FURNAS took over the other 70% which had previously been managed by Eletronorte. With installed power of 210 MW, the plant was designed to use the reservoir and water in many different ways. The normalization of flood and drought cycles in the Cuiabá River is one of the benefits of Manso’s Multi-Use design, helping reduce socioeconomic damage.

As a company that generates, transmits and sells electric energy and is also committed to social responsibility, the environment is a major factor at all FURNAS’s operations.

To mitigate and offset the changes caused by building and operating the Manso Plant reservoir, which spans an area of 427 km² across Chapada dos Guimarães and Nova Brasilândia, FURNAS has implemented 21 environmental programs, including Hydrological, Icthyofauna and Limnologic Monitoring Program, the Water Quality Monitoring Program and the Fauna Handling and Conservation Program.


Technical Data


Dam

  • Total Length: 3,680 m
  • In concrete: 140 m
  • In compact soil: 3,120 m
  • In riprap: 420 m


Reservoir

  • Watershed: 9,365 km²
  • Flooded area: 427 km²
  • Accumulated volume: 7.3 x 109 m³
  • Usable volume: 2,951 x 106 m³
  • Normal operating level: 287 m
  • Maximum flood level: 289.8 m
  • Level of expropriation: 290.8 m
  • Minimum operating level: 278 m


Water Intake

  • Type: gravity
  • Length: 45 m
  • Number of spans (gates): 4
  • Floor elevation: 264.90 m
  • Number of penstocks: 4
  • Internal diameter: 5,200 m


Spillway

  • Flow: 2,990 m³/s
  • Number of spans: 3
  • Watershed floor elevation: 276.25 m
  • Total Length: 50 m
  • Type of gate: segmented (9.5 x 13.5)


Powerhouse

  • Type: sheltered
  • Size: 116.80 m x 16.80 m
  • Number of units: 4
  • Installed capacity: 210 MW
  • Overhead crane: 2 x 650/150 kN


Generator

  • Apparent rated capacity: 55.5 MVA
  • Power factor: 0.95
  • Frequency: 60 Hz
  • Rated voltage: 13.8 kV +/- 5%
  • Maximum continuous power: 62.5 MVA
  • Firm power: 92 MW/year


Turbines

  • Type: Francis vertical axis
  • Rated head speed: 57.5 m
  • Rated capacity: 52.5 MW
  • Rotation: 180 RPM
  • Intake: 104.6 m³/s
  • Transformers: 5 (operation + back-up)
  • Type: single-phase
  • Total operating capacity: 250 MVA
  • Transformation ratio: 13.8/230 Kv
  • Manufacturer: Toshiba